It was a complete failure (or success, depending on how you look at it!). No one talked to him. Some nice smiles and nods, but no networking.
- Have a plan.
- Bring plenty of business cards.
- Focus on meeting the other attendees, not just the “Stars”.
- Talk to the people sitting next to you.
- Ask questions of people you meet.
- Put your technology away.
- Do not automatically send a LinkedIn or Facebook request.
- Read their stuff.
- Introduce others.
- Follow up. (Jason’s note: use JibberJobber to organize your job search and help with the follow-up!)
- Do more than others expect from you.
(I like his last point, which was… more than 10 :)).
You can be introverted, of course, but have a networking plan! Again, read Thom’s post to learn more about each point.