Here’s another JobMob post, written by Nettie Feldman of the Afternoon Schmooze talk show. This one is titled 6 Standout Job Interview Tips from a Professional Interviewer. Nettie says:
- Look memorable. She says to stand out subtly… not too flashy, but something that will stand out. I’m fashion-challenged, so this would be hard for me I like to hope my personality and smile would help me stand out, visually.
- Pretend you’re the host. She says “so much of the interview can depend on the chemistry,” and you should consider a role where you want to make them feel comfortable. This should definitely make you more comfortable, which might help you answer the questions with more ease.
- Speak memorably. she says to actually memorize some of your responses, and deliver them with a hook. I totally agree. I thought I could wing interviews but I found that those who had prepared, and didn’t do it off-the-cuff, has significantly better performances than… me.
- Deflect trick questions. She gives an example of how to keep yourself from digging a hole and getting into it. Read her example here.
- Finesse dumb questions. There are a lot of dumb questions in an interview! You really should be ready for them, and figure out how to respond to them before the interview.
- Smile. She says “seasoned interviewers can smell fear.” I agree… even unseasoned interviewers will smell it. She says that smiling can melt your fear away.
What job search interview tip would you add to this list?